Marion Unruh designed and built the Pretty Prairie Special III as the third in a series of airplanes named after his hometown of Pretty Prairie, Kansas. Unruh designed the plane in 1951, but his military career slowed progress. It was finally completed and flown in 1957. It rolled, looped and could snap with the best acrobatic planes of the day. The plane was constructed of wood and welded tubular steel with an all-fabric covering. It could carry a 24-gallon fuel supply. The rear seat was mounted a few inches higher than the front to provide better vision for the pilot who flew solo from the rear. The aircraft was powered by a 125 hp Menasco D4 in-line engine. The plane was donated to the Experimental Aircraft Association in 1968. The association donated it to the Kansas Aviation Museum in 2006. In October 2006, museum volunteer Wayne Lawrence went to Oshkosh, Wis., and brought the Pretty Prairie Special back to Wichita. Before Lawrence brought the airplane in to the museum, he took it home and gave it a new paint job.
One 125 hp Menasco D4 in-line engine.
Empty 1,050 lbs.
Span 21 ft
Length 17 ft. 1 in.
Height 6 ft. 1 in.