In 1958 Beechcraft began to develop a variant of the L23 Bonanza with a larger cabin at the request of the US Army. The L23-F that emerged had the same wings and tail but up to ten people could now fit in the longer, wider and higher cabin compared to only five in earlier L-23s. Beechcraft gave the type the in-house designation of Model 65 and developed it as a civilian aircraft as well, christening it the “Queen Air”. The first two Model 65’s built were retained by Beechcraft as prototypes and the third was delivered to the Army in 1960, with a further 23 being delivered that year and in 1961. The plane was later designated by the army as the U8. The KAM U8 is one of the most complete owned by the museum. Built in Wichita in May 1962 and used by the 89th ARCOM, U.S. Army Reserve, it was donated to the museum in the fall of 1992.
2 Lycoming IGSO480 A1E6 horizontally opposed, 340 hp (255 kW) each
Gross 7.700 lbs.
Span 45′ 11″
Length 35 ft. 6 in.
Height 14 ft. 3 in.